You are here: Home / Institute / History

History

The Institute of Power Engineering (IEn) was established by the resolution of the Council of Ministers No 815/53 of 2 November 1953 as a research and development unit.

The first aim of the Institute was to provide a direct assistance for power sector in the field of power generation, transmission, distribution and use as well to promote rationalization and innovation in the energy sector.

The IEn’s structure has been amended several times. The last important structural change was in 2007 when two institutes: the Thermal Technology Institute in Lodz and the Heating and Sanitary Technology Institute in Radom have been incorporated to IEn.

The subsequent development of the Institute leds to extension of the IEn’s activities and research fields. The Institute, initially focusing on conventional research on fossil fuels, has shifted its interest towards more sustainable technologies like energy generation from biomass, clean coal technologies, fuel cells and smart grids. The participation in the European research projects has been crucially important for the IEn’s development.

In 2010 the Institute of Power Engineering was transformed into a research institute.

Since 2009 the Institute is a member of the Executive Committee of the European Energy Research Alliance EERA.